Take advantage of the use of nano-particles for production of composite coatings with superior properties compared to those of hard chromium produced by electroplating or to WC-Co produced by thermal spray.
PROCETS main target is to deliver protective coatings covering a wide range of applications such as automotive, aerospace, metal-working, oil and gas and cutting tools industries via thermal spray and electroplating methods by utilizing more environmental friendly materials, compared to the currently used. This will allow the replacement of the hazardous process of hard chromium plating and WC-Co coatings via thermal spray.
The development and exploitation of the technology as proposed by PROCETS project is based on a series of well-defined objectives. Apart from adherence to standards, a number of scalable methods and properties will be optimized, in order to provide the next generation of protective coatings that will enable the shift to more environmental friendly materials with enhanced properties.
Advanced Simulation and control of tribology in metal forming Processes for the North-West European Consumer goods and Transport sectors (ASPECT)
The aim of ASPECT is to develop advanced simulations technology to account for temperature increase and adaptive control systems to adjust the machine settings during the start-up of the production line.
Top research capabilities on tribological simulations and process control are available in the Netherlands and Switzerland, while Germany, France and the Netherlands are hosting a high number of automotive, aerospace and consumer goods manufacturing lines.
The change ASPECT will produce:
- up to 40% increase in productivity for manufacturing OEMs;
- 20-25% reduction of maintenance costs;
- new design capabilities for metal alloys and lubricants.
The novelty of ASPECT:
- prediction and control of tribological conditions by developing both accurate and computationally-efficient simulations;
- robustness of the results demonstrated across two representative industrial sectors - automotive parts and personal care consumer products - covering both sides of the dimensional range;
- whole supply chain involved right from the project implementation phase.
- advanced tribological simulations;
- robust and fully-automated forming processes demonstrated in two existing forming lines;
- new joint demo facility with open access for training and education;
- dissemination via relevant manufacturing clusters in NWE area;
- guidelines to improve the material, tool and lubricant design.
The long term benefits: products with complex shapes and based on advanced materials; highly skilled jobs; customer satisfaction ensuring competitiveness of the industry.
New Generation of Protective Coatings Alternative to Hard Chrome
Official information can be found here
One of the most widely used coatings in the world, is hard chrome as it exhibits unique properties that help prevent wear and corrosion. The annual cost of corrosion alone is estimated to account for 3.1% of the world’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Protective coatings help to reduce the cost of these deleterious mechanisms and thus are popular engineering solutions. However, hard chromium faces many problems: EU restrictions due to the use of hexavalent chromium; health issues for the plating industry personnel due to associated cancers; functional defects of the coatings; and, the low current efficiency in plating. There is therefore an urgent need to find an alternative which is the ultimate aim of this exciting new project.
About this Research Programme
Research for SMEs Associations aims at developing technical solutions to problems common to a large number of SMEs in specific industrial sectors or segments of the value chain, through research that could not be addressed under Research for SMEs. Projects must be driven by the SME associations, which are given the opportunity to subcontract research to RTD performers in order for them to acquire the necessary technological knowledge for their members. Projects must have clear exploitation potential and economic benefits for the SME members of the associations involved.